Pancho's Revenge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pancho's Revenge

Post  Admin on Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:10 am

This afternoon I was extended the honor of being guided through the Okanagan Valley's newest hand-built trail; Pancho’s Revenge, by its creator. Details of the Who / What / When and Where of the route will remain unpublished until it's official public unveiling, sometime in the first week of September, per the wishes of said builder.

What I can tell you is that it offers some of the most impressive technical riding that I have experienced in some time. It includes several teeters, numerous skinnies, umpteen rock-roll-overs and a great deal of woodwork; all without the use of dimension lumber.

The route is navigable by most in perhaps 45 minutes, though I have it on good authority that the creator rides it top to bottom in around 15 minutes. I took time to check out the various structures, re-doing several sections that kicked my ass the first time (and in some cases, the second and third time) around.

The route is a ‘drop’, so ascent is pretty much out of the question. My 5.5” Blur LTII was over its head – as was the pilot - on several drops. Armor will be on the menu once this trail opens, as is a decent quality ‘6&6’ style suspension bike.

Best of all; the entire trail is on Crown Land :-)

Stay tuned, full pics, Google Earth files and GPS tracks to come once the route is officially opened. In the meantime, this will have to tide you over:

Pancho's revenge Recipe

TIME/SERVINGS - Total: 35 mins, plus several hours for chilling
Active: 16 mins - Makes: About 3 cups

Ingredients
5 medium roma tomatoes, cored and halved
15 dried chiles de arbol, stemmed, halved, and seeded
3 teaspoons ground dried pasilla peppers
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cups water
4 tablespoons unsalted hulled pumpkin seeds
4 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup minced red onion
1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
2 cloves crushed garlic
juice from half a lime
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste

Instructions
Heat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, then place tomatoes skin side up on the baking sheet. When the broiler is hot, char tomatoes until skins are slightly burned. Turn off the broiler. Remove tomatoes from the oven and place them in a stainless steel pot. Add chiles de arbol, pasilla peppers, tomato paste, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring often. While tomato mixture is cooking, heat oven to 350°F and toast pumpkin seeds on a rimmed baking sheet until just browned. Remove seeds from the tray and cool. After the 20 minutes, add vinegar to tomato mixture and cook for 1 minute. Add toasted pumpkin seeds and crushed garlic. Squeeze in lime juice. Place mixture in a blender, and blend until smooth. Pour salsa into a container and stir in red onion and cilantro. Refrigerate for several hours before serving. Use unsalted tortilla chips - Rock and Roll!

Andrew D.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://www.sweetsingletrack.ca

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top